Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Mild Thanksgiving Day As Forecasted & More

As it turns out, I was right about a milder Thanksgiving Day. However, it should be the only day to have afternoon temps. crack 55 degrees this week in the Ohio Valley. Tomorrow we could easily see the high end of the 50s in Louisville. It would be an above average high temperature for a change. I know. Nobody has to remind me that it's not going to last more than one day. But, I'm becoming increasingly interested in a precipitation event to take place Sunday into the day on Monday. Right now, it looks like a mixture of rain and snow, but could it become cold enough for some light snow accumulation? Probably just another dusting, but I'll be watching the development of this system, carefully!

I'm going to make another forecast while I'm thinking about it. Most have prognosticated a sub-normal temperature regime in the eastern part of the country for December. However, I'm anticipating, at least, a period of mild weather in the east because of a huge storm that will be moving south of Alaska in the next 5-7 days. It seems to me that the storm should be intense enough to change the configuration of the jet stream across the country. It should initially push the trough out of the eastern U.S. and raise temperatures in that area. I think we'll experience a really mild period about 10 days to two weeks from now. That's not to say that the cold won't return to the east by the latter part of December. But, this system south of Alaska looks formidable. Maybe as the system moves across the lower 48, bitter cold that has been building up in the arctic will pool in Alaska and NW Canada initially and plummet southward and eastward as the low pressure system and cold front shifts into the eastern part of the country by mid-December. I am really impressed by this storm south of Alaska in the coming days, if I haven't said that already!!!

No comments: