Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Excellent Heart News!

It's good to finally be reporting good news. Apparently, the doubling of the dose of Altace, one of my heart medications, caused my cardiac output to increase substantially. My ejection fraction increased from 30% to 46%. Normal is 55% or higher. So, my heart is doing better with the two medicines prescribed to improve its function. I am, still, at a higher risk if I were to endure back surgery. But, if I can take the steroid treatment every six months and remain on the narcotic pain killer, hydrocodone, I should be able to continue to tolerate my pain better. My pain level is less than it was before the steroids and Lortab, so whatever works short of surgery is what I would pursue. It certainly beats a surgical procedure! I saw my cardiologist yesterday, and he told me that my ejection fraction will vary from day to day, but that my heart did seem to respond well to the increased Altace. My left bundle branch block remains, but I was doing very well the day of my MUGA scan back in June. I mean 46% is all the closer to the normal 55% or better, right? :o)

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick=-This IS excellent news!!! I'm so excited to hear this. Keep the positive attitude, and keep the faith. They really help boost the medicines. I'm so happy to hear this. I'm sure it'll work its way up to 55% where it should be. Awesome!!!