Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Night of Little Sleep and Glasses

I am so frustrated. Even with some pretty potent prescription drugs, I can't sleep. Well, I did get a bit over two hours, but that just isn't enough, not for anybody. I'm doing all I can to improve my cardiovascular output by walking daily and taking my medications. My decreased ejection fraction makes me tired as it is, and on February 7th, I see a cardiologist who specializes in pacemakers and defibrillators. If a pacemaker increases my energy levels during the day, I'm all for it. But, if the insomnia doesn't abate, I'm likely going to feel pretty lousy anyway. Sometimes I just wish somebody would knock me over the head with some blunt metallic object so that I can pass out. I don't want to use this blog to complain about not sleeping all the time, but it's a determining factor in how I'm going to feel each and every day. I've had two cups of coffee or I wouldn't even be blogging this morning.

Today, I go to Bardstown, Kentucky to test different colored lenses by trying to read something with the various shades. If the color is right, reading will be smooth and easy, not choppy or uncomfortable. Once the right color is established, my prescription glasses will be sent off to be tinted. I will miss them while they're gone. My vision is so much better now that I have corrective lenses. Of course, I've written about this in a previous blog. The coloring of the lenses block out certain wavelengths of light that interfere with one's visual processing so that they can read better and have improved depth perception, among other things. It's a rather painstaking process to discover what the right color is, but I imagine I will start with what worked in 1996. I really have a feeling it's changed. I was told all the prescription drugs, the chemicals I put into my body can change the wavelengths of light to which I'm sensitive. I will find out soon enough. More later...

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick - Good luck with the glasses- impaired vision also adds to not feeling well overall.
If you can do some form of exercise before going to bed, then wind down with reading that may help.
Sometimes when I can't sleep, I picture being in a cloud looking down into the descending funnel of a tornado. The image of the twisting motion makes me sleepy. Worth a try!
Buzz