Monday, February 4, 2008

Summer-Like Temperatures and Thorazine Withdrawal

Well, it's almost 2 AM, and it's very "sticky" in the condo. It's 67 degrees F outside, feeling more like a summer morning. I wish I had air conditioning because I would be using it now for sure. I slept about 4 hours before I got on the computer. I realize I haven't blogged in a while, so I thought I'd write about it. I developed akathisia on the Thorazine that was helping me sleep, so my psychiatrist took me off the drug "cold turkey." Since then, I've had residual side effects. Mostly I've been experiencing pain in my legs. It has improved somewhat, but the doctor told me to take Benadryl for the anticholinergic effects, which should help the pain. It is very difficult to drive my car with this discomfort in my legs. I don't think it's dangerous for me to drive, but it is uncomfortable to say the least. I hope this pain goes away because I realize the Thorazine was damaging my dopamine receptors. What I'm experiencing now is psuedo-Parkinson's symptoms. Anyway, a lot of people are praying for me, and I know that the power of prayer is potentially life-changing and very real.
This summer-like weather Louisville is having today may result in a severe weather outbreak this evening. There's a significant potential for damaging winds, and even a slight risk of isolated tornadoes. Personally, I'm looking forward to high temperatures returning to the 40s. At least we probably won't see the 7 degrees F again that we saw on the morning of January 20th as an arctic air mass enveloped the region. According to the two-week forecast, the arctic air should remain bottled up in Alaska and Canada, and above-normal temperatures should dominate most of the lower 48. Again, I don't think we'll see temperatures in the 70s again in the two-week period ahead, but there could be a lot of 50s, more like what is average a month from now... and quite a bit of rain is in that outlook as well.

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick- You are a model of courage for all. It seems like there's a lot of medications that have side-effects that are almost worse than the symptoms they're trying to fix. I'm glad that you're diligent about your health, as well as careful.
I read about Heath Ledger's accidental mix of medications which tragically took his life, and I worry about you. However, I know how responsible and careful you are. Good work.
Thanks for the update on the arctic air being bottled up north for 2 weeks. Here in Maryland, we like to hear that- especially when it comes to walking the dogs!