Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sleep Medication, The Arctic Invasion, and Johnny Rivers...

Well, the insomniac didn't blog yesterday because I was a basketcase. I slept absolutely zilch Thursday night. I tried Trazodone at 300 mg again because it had been a while. I lowered my Chlorpromazine dose from 300 mg to 200 mg, thinking that the Trazodone would compensate for the extra Chlorpromazine. But, it didn't work. Last night (Friday,) I got a new prescription for Sonata. I first tried it without the Chlorpromazine, but I couldn't fall asleep. So I ended up taking 20 mg of Sonata and 200 mg of Chlorpromazine to sleep several consecutive hours. Why can't I shut off my brain when I'm trying to sleep? It's not that I'm consciously thinking about something. I don't know. It's very frustrating! Anyway, I believe I got close to eight hours of rest last night, so I'm feeling much better this morning. If only I could get eight hours every night... without drugs!!! My psychiatrist really wants me to quit taking the Chlorpromazine because it's an ancient anti-psychotic drug with possible side effects that could show up at any time. He tells me that he's concerned about stiffness associated with it, but the primary concern should be movement disorders. I've been on it for several years now, and 200 mg isn't a terribly high dose or it wouldn't come in a 200 mg tablet. Chlorpromazine is also used for pre-surgical anxiety, nausea, and hiccups (believe it or not.) So, enough about my insomnia!

As far as a weather update, the arctic front is just on Louisville's door-step this morning. Right now, it's 30 degrees F outside, but it's only 10 degrees F up the road in Indianapolis. Rarely is there a 20-degree difference between here and Indy. It still seems that afternoon temperatures should fall into the teens here with subzero wind chills. Most weather forecasts are predicting temperatures to hold in the 20s throughout the day. I just don't see it staying that "warm." Hopefully, I'm wrong and temperatures don't fall quite so dramatically!

Tonight, I'm going to a Louisville Pops concert with my parents. We're going to see Johnny Rivers play with the Louisville Orchestra. My folks have seen him before and were quite impressed. He had a bunch of hits in the '60s and early '70s. I know he didn't pen them all, but he has written at least a few originals. I have a freebie coming to me from BMG, so I might just get "The Best of Johnny Rivers" as my selection. I only need a one-disc collection. "Secret Agent Man," "Mountain of Love," and "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu" are just a few of his hits. Anyway, thank God I got some sleep last night, so hopefully I can enjoy the concert this evening! I hope to enjoy this show as much as Kool & The Gang and Olivia Newton-John, which have been my favorite performances in the Louisville Pops series over the past few years.

No comments: