Sunday, January 20, 2008

Johnny Rivers Rocked!

I was amazed at the talent of Johnny Rivers last night. He can play almost anything. He started off with a couple blues numbers. He played the solos with ease and excitement. Everybody who was there could probably tell that Johnny Rivers likes to play rock 'n' roll. He did play a few acoustic numbers, but that just emphasized the diverse music that Rivers could play. And when he played a slow song, the Louisville Orchestra kicked into gear and washes of strings just made them all the more beautiful. When he first took stage he said, "Hello, all you symphonic rock 'n' rollers!" You could tell that he had a good sense of humor. His singing was most of the time right on, but occasionally his voice revealed a lack of power. But, I had to remind myself that this guy is 65 years old. I just loved that he loved what he was doing, and it showed. His band was awesome as well. The keyboard player rocked like the best of them and was apparently responsible for some of the arrangements. The drummer was exceptional. And the bass player as well as the extra guitar player were obviously fine musicians. A funny side note... the backup singers were good, but one of them that my parents and I talked about afterwards was getting raunchy with some sexually suggestive movements. I know she was just really into the music, but watching her was entertaining. I'd like to see her at a dance party. Anyway, I really do want to get a cd compilation of Johnny Rivers' greatest hits. I know in several cases, he trumped the original artist who wrote the songs with his own version. He had an ordinary voice, but one that was very pleasing to hear.

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick- It's amazing that folks at 65 can still rock and roll. It's all in the spirit I guess. That's similar to you- you've got a spirit that doesn't allow you to give up - and your spirit and determination is stronger than most! Thanks for sharing your concert experience!!