Saturday, February 9, 2008

Glasses and Cogentin

Well, I finally went to get tested for what tinted lenses I needed for my Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome. I ended up needing two different shades of grey, which will look pretty dark, but really I know it's necessary. I got my psychiatrist to write a prescription for the Irlen lenses and a diagnosis of photophobia. I'm trying to get Medicaid to pay for the lenses. They have for some people, so it's worth a try. I think the prescription and diagnosis will be taken more seriously coming from my opthalmologist, Dr. Conrad. He specializes in eye diseases, but it's great to have a psychiatrist who cares as much as Dr. Miller. He has done practically anything to help me. He prescribed Cogentin to help with the pain and throbbing in the legs. It's an anti-Parkinson's drug which helps with akathisia. It's a good thing he told me to quit taking the Thorazine when the akathisia showed up. I just hope it isn't permanent. He has told me before that it takes about 2 weeks for the drug to get out of the system. But, the Cogentin in addition to Gabapentin (Neurontin) is taking care of the pain in my legs. I hate to drive now. There's just too much discomfort in my legs. Right now, I'm using dark grey sunglasses to assist me in the meantime. It will take approximately 3 weeks to get my glasses tinted and back to me. It will have the astigmatism prescription along with the Scotopic prescription. The diagnostician said they will just look like sunglasses, but some people end up with pink or green lenses, so I'm thankful that shades of grey were my colors.

Anyway, the weather has calmed down after the tornado outbreak Tuesday and the prior Tuesday. It looks like we're going into a much quieter weather pattern over the next two weeks. It will be significantly cooler, but not brutally cold (except Sunday,) when we get a quick shot of arctic air from Canada. It's getting to the time of year that arctic plunges in temperatures don't last very long. The wind will be gusty Sunday, so it will feel frigid. Most of the day will see temperatures in the 20s with wind chills getting as cold as the single digits. High temperatures will be in the 40s and 50s for much of the next two weeks. That is near to slightly above normal, average highs being in the mid 40s. More later...

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick- glad to hear you got your glasses! And there's nothing wrong with shades of grey! In fact, that's kind of how most of us see the world (figuratively).
Seriously, it sounds like things are getting organized for you- and it's great to hear it.
Just watch out for that wild weather!!