Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Health News and Relationships...

Well, I talked to my regular doctor on the telephone a couple hours ago. I had a MRI done on the cervical and lumbar spine the beginning of last week. It showed nothing other than some general arthritis in the lumbar area, but there was a "moderate" nerve compression on the left side of the C3 and C4 vertebrae in the neck. The arthritic condition in that vicinity was also noted. An epidural type of surgery was mentioned. I guess that would mean injections. However, since the pain is not localized, my doctor did not believe that would helpful. Anyway, he wants me to make another appointment with him to discuss it further. I have asked my father to go with me for support. I really don't want to rely on narcotic pain killers and muscle relaxants for the rest of my life. Something has to be out there that would be beneficial.

Lastly, I was in a relationship that I thought had potential to be long-term. However, it has been reduced to mere friendship now. I'm not going to devalue friendship, but I loved someone who didn't love me back. It's a shame, but I keep telling myself that no one can have too many friends. At least, that's always been my philosophy! I'm giving this other person the space that they have needed, and maybe, just maybe, we will turn out to be really good friends. Actually, we had very good communication, but I was always ignoring the excuses and warning signs. I wanted to believe we were lovers and that this was the next long-term relationship in my life. I guess I was the best of dreamers. Well, I'm going to let things cool off, and like I said, give this individual the space that they even told me they desired. I could listen but not hear, the subtle difference.

1 comment:

Rgutro said...

Rick- Thanks for the medical update- you're right there must be something out there to help. Painkiller dependence is not the answer.
As for your relationship- let it go, see what happens. As the George Strait song goes, "You Can't Make a Heart Love Somebody." - When it happens, you'll know. Trust me. I waited a looooong time!